Monday, April 15, 2013

From paid to free...

So, this is my first post on a blog I'm not sure how often I will even use.  For a while I was paying for a web hosting account and a domain name, mostly to share family photos and do a little blogging specifically for friends and family.  It wasn't too long before I realized that no one would take the time to log into my web site to view my photos and blog posts since everyone is already on Facebook and other social media sites, which I still haven't fully embraced (I don't even have a Facebook account although I've gotten addicted to Twitter in the past few months!).

I also intended to setup a sub-domain to start yet another information security blog, but never got around too it.  In the end I kept the domain name and hosting account just to use it as an SSH proxy for browsing the web on untrusted networks.  Finally I got around to setting up a VPN server at home and no longer had any use for the web site, so I closed it down and saved some money.  Recently I got another inkling to start an infosec blog, so I thought I'd setup this one and see where it goes.

Rather than trying write content to attempt to draw readers (although that would be nice), I'll probably use it as more of a personal note-taking device, a place holder for things I don't want to search for, or random topics that interest me.  After all, if I'm not interested in what I'm writing about, I don't expect anyone else will be either!


No comments:

Post a Comment